- To get really strong, don't go to failure.
- Barbell rows are great for thickness and for deadlift assistance.
- Keep the sets high and the reps low for the Olympic lifts.
- You can clean 80% and above everyday.
- Don't feel guilty about short workouts.
- Treat your training time as a sacred time. No texting. No talking about stuff not pertaining to lifting.
- Dumbells are excellent for hypertrophy as are squeezing and controlled eccentrics.
- Take time during the year (as a powerlifter) to stay away from the squat, bench and deadlift. Perform variants of those exercises such as the safety squat, close grip bench, and change your deadlift stance from conventional to sumo, or sumo to conventional.
- Don't ever think that there is a magic supplement to get you big and strong. Real food is best. And hard work.
- Study the OLD Timers such as Draper, The York Gang, Gironda (way ahead of his time), Rick Wayne, Arthur Jones, Rheo Blair, Jack Lalanne.
Thursday, May 29, 2014
Stuff to Ponder: 10 Things I Have Learned
All About Being a Lifer
What's a Lifer? Someone who isn't in to something for just a day, a month, a year...it's for life. Whether its training or your family or your job...it doesn't matter. You work at it, you build on it, you see the big picture . You don't miss workouts because it means something to you. You are like a Shakespearean actor- no matter what is going on in your life, you block it out when it's time to train. You walk into the weight room and all else disappears. Worry about it later.