Sunday, March 23, 2014
Question about Kettlebells
I received a question the other day about kettlebells and how and why I have incorporated into training.
I do kettlebell swings everyday, at least a hundred a day. Sometimes 300-400, usually with a 55 pounder or a 78(?) pounder. 100 is the minimum. Sometimes 100 in a row, usually sets of 10-20. I got HKC certified just so I know what the hell I am doing. Its nothing fancy, but fancy is not where it is at anyway. Fancy.
Here is why-
1. It reminds me of chopping wood, shovelling dirt, working in the yard, manual stuff that I miss doing. Just put- your -head- down -and- go type of stuff
2. It feels good to my back.
3. It blows my forearms up
4. I am bored with bodypart splits and having to do certain exercises each day. Randomness is fun and more real. After training since 1979, one must keep it fresh.
5. It replaces the bike which I despise
6. It feels athletic, with the hip extension
7. I get bored doing the same old stuff and this is a nice change.
8. No, I have not drunk the Kool Aid that it replaces the Barbell. But I am open minded and its a nice change. If you are strong, it comes easier- Cristi did a Turkish Get Up on her first try with a 55 pound kettlebell. And yes, she is a strong person from barbells.
9 . Plus I can do it anywhere...throw one in your car and you are good to go.
All About Being a Lifer
What's a Lifer? Someone who isn't in to something for just a day, a month, a year...it's for life. Whether its training or your family or your job...it doesn't matter. You work at it, you build on it, you see the big picture . You don't miss workouts because it means something to you. You are like a Shakespearean actor- no matter what is going on in your life, you block it out when it's time to train. You walk into the weight room and all else disappears. Worry about it later.